16 July 2010

Little things

Like I said in the previous post, time really is passing too quickly here. I can't believe how much the seasons are changing within the seasons. The cherries are gone, the sunflowers have bloomed, and the apples are almost ready to eat! The garden is more green than when I arrived, the grapes vines are covering the walkway, and the baby ducks are getting so big. We have more eggs than I think we'll ever get through sitting in the fridge and the freezer is packed with fresh fruit for winter. I'm going to start this photo post with a shot of the beautiful flowers that are now finishing their season, followed by the photos of what we now have- the little things in life that make me happy. Noroc!




Yes. That goat IS on top of the rocks.





See that pepper on the right? Well, the piece of it? It's not a sweet pepper. It's hot. Super hot.


Frozen food to prepare for winter.


Our kitchen.






Check out all of these chickens! Where did they come from? Which was first? The chicken or the egg?









Fifi followed me on my journey of noticing the "little things" in my life.


Footprints representing hard work.


Fifi acts like he loves me, but then scratches my hand when I try to pet him. So nice.


Our garden



FIFI vs Chickens. Who wins?


This is the fella that wakes me up in the morning. Him and the rooster. I can't wait till Christmas!


Isn't she awesome? Yes, yes she is.

I know this seems to be common sense, especially when you remember where I am, but I'm going to point it out anyway because my dad and I had a nice conversation about it today. It's amazing how much you realize you can live without when you're in another country. For instance: hot water. Is it necessary to have hot water EVERY time you turn on the faucet? Absolutely not. It's just nice. Toilets with plumbing: I actually am beginning to enjoy not having to flush a toilet, I'm getting great leg muscles, and I'm also learning quickly the rules of the outhouse (aka if you don't want flies, go at night). Also, America (in general) is so focused on MORE MORE MORE! and are most American's really happy? Now, I'm no economist, but I would venture to guess material items are not buying happiness. Now look at Moldova. Sure, there are quite a few people that are unhappy. I like to blame it on the lack of the smile effect because as soon as I smile at someone on the street (no matter how angry they may look) their faces just light up and they have the most beautiful smiles (grills and all). Ok, that's probably not the real cause of the unhappiness in Moldova- the lack of jobs is. But putting that aside, Moldovans are really happy people and a lot have very little! In fact, my MG and SG were discussing today how my MG needs more (new) clothes. Obviously SG was on the "new" side and MG was on the "old". I'm not sure who won, but I do know MG was totally content with the clothes she has- which she's had forever. Does she care that she's had them forever? Absolutely not. But SG does, which I think is because of the generation she has been brought up in. I don't know, I could be completely wrong about this.

Thoughts?

2 comments:

  1. Chris and I were talking about how sad it was we had to throw so much stuff away when we moved. We tried selling it, then we tried giving it to Salvation Army (they never showed to pick it up) so we were forced to throw away a lot of good stuff we just couldn't take with us on our move.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can't buy happiness!! What you buy might give you pleasure but happiness comes from a different place. I will never forget sitting around the campfire, making s'mores in the backyard. My teen son would leans over and tells me "this is the BEST"!! The kids run around, they swing on the swingset, we talk, Graham and his friends play guitar...

    ReplyDelete