22 July 2010

Country Director

We finally got to meet our Country Director, Jeffrey, today. He has been in Austria since before we arrived because his wife was having a baby so he got to take "Paternity Leave" (if only everyone in the USA supported this idea!!).

I was really nervous about meeting him just because he's, well, the TOP DAWG of the Peace Corps Moldova program. But me, being my usual talkative social butterfly, decided to go introduce myself- which I'm very glad I did.

He was really a breath of fresh air. While I am in no way what-so-ever struggling with anything here in Moldova (besides with these flea bites on my arms... but I can't help it! The dogs at school are so friendly!)... it was nice to hear what he said. His words just made me even more pumped to be a Peace Corps Volunteer and he also made me never want to leave the program. Jeffrey reiterated how important it is to voice any and all thoughts/concerns while in service so something can be done about it, and also how important we are to Moldova. We are here to help the people that live here. We are here to help them use what they have to make their lives easier/more efficient/better. We are here to make a difference. We are also here because we want to be here. The best way to be successful is to believe you can be successful. I know this is something I'm going to have to remind myself (hopefully less and less along the way!) because I feel like I sometimes get in a rut where I am only thinking negative thoughts. Well, when I'm only thinking negative thoughts, there is no good that can come out of that, so they need to be turned positive. I need to believe in myself and my projects to push things further.

Jeffrey also made me very excited to see what all I will be able to accomplish in my two (maybe more?) years here. I want to be able to look back and say, "wow, I really did that!". I do know that it also is not about the quantity of what I do, but the quality to which I do it. I always hear stories about these "Super Volunteers" that leave big shoes behind to fill when they COS (close of service). I want to be that person. I'm excited to be that person. I believe I can be that person.

... I'll keep you updated!

Time to go speak in Romanian now. We have our LPI (Language Placement-or progression- Interview). No big deal.

-cc.

No comments:

Post a Comment