20 October 2010

Nice day

Today has been a really nice day. Although I woke up and saw overcast skies, the sun and some blue are not peeking through and it's 61º.

I began the day by seeing the doctor.. and she told me I still need to rest, but it's good that things are looking up. Later I met up with Diana, my language teacher from Razeni and we caught up on life. Then I went for a nice walk and took pictures of the beautiful colors of the trees and enjoyed the weather since I have nothing else to do right now. After that relaxing walk I went to the PC office to talk to our country director, Jeffrey, to find out some information about funding and side projects and whatnot. He gave me some great ideas and then I spoke with the other volunteer who is staying in TDY with me about them and she offered even more... wanna hear them? Yes, yes you do!

Summer for students is ridiculously boring. They are not productive and they usually cause trouble (which is also true in America). Varatic has an overnight camp that students go to for a week or two during the summer. I'm not sure how it works, but that is my project for when I get home... to figure that out. Either I'm going to see how I can help (possibly including something English related) or maybe I'll do a day camp at the school (or somewhere else) for the students (possibly bringing other volunteers to help for a week or even other Americans... if you're interested let me know!!!!!). The good thing is that the funding if I go in one of these 2 directions is already taken care of... unless I need materials for the camp. However, I'm thinking about somehow including photography as part of this, or even something separate. This is where you come in... only I'm not 100% sure how this will work yet. I'll let you know more once I get everything approved... but, basically, I'm trying to find a way to get disposable cameras donated to these students instead of going through grant writing, but it's not as simple as just donating disposable cameras. So... I'll let you know!

It's really nice to be here, though, and to have this other volunteer to talk to. She's my parents' age and she's been here a year, so she has a great outlook on her experience and some wonderful advice. Just like the woman who I met on the beach in Florida, she said to me:

The best advice I can give you is to remember that you're doing it for them.

Although I've already heard this, it helps to have the reminder. Sometimes times get tough and I seriously question what I'm doing here and if it would be a good idea to go home. But that's because I'm forgetting why I'm here... it's for them.

... time to get to researching for them. And the best part is someone above me is playing the piano. Well, they were. Until they stopped. Hopefully it will start up again soon because it was so beautiful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment