12 October 2010

Improvements?

It's almost 6pm and still 57º! Thank goodness for nice weather again...

My sore throat is gone but I can only breathe out of one nostril at a time (sorry if that's too much information!). The good news is I shouldn't have to go to the medical office in Chisinau in order to get better and I should be all cleared up in the next couple of days. I did come home early today, though, in order to get some rest and to pop that balloon of pressure in my head.

It's awfully hard to think in Romanian when my head feels like it's going to explode. Luckily I teach in English but I did have to go around to some of the classrooms and give speeches and I chose to do so in Romanian so they would understand. You see, after yesterdays incident with the girls I realized I do have to tighten up and put on my teacher face. So I went around and reminded all of the students that although I do not speak Romanian super well, I understand it. And although I am from America, that doesn't take away from the fact that I am their teacher and not their friend and they should give me more respect.

It was semi-difficult walking through the halls and not being so smiley but I have to do it for now. Because I don't feel well it made things a little easier on the outside but it made me sad on the inside. That's just not the type of person I am, but I grew up in a very different culture than these students have and so I must take that into consideration.

I also told the kids I won't be having the tutoring at my house anymore but I will be available for 1 hour after school every day if they have questions... on top of English club once a week (which reminds me... I should probably plan for that!)

No comments:

Post a Comment