14 December 2010

Back to life

This morning I woke up early because I wanted to do the painting I wasn't able to do yesterday because it took me forever to make a powerpoint for my 8th form on the subject of relative pronouns (which, btw, went really well. Well, maybe. They seemed a little confused at times and other times like it made perfect sense. But, regardless, I think this was the first day they were all 100% attentive... and on a grammar topic nonetheless).

When I woke up, I decided I wanted to do some exercise instead of paint because 1 hour really isn't enough time to do a sufficient amount of painting. Plus, I figured the exercise would be a good way to start the morning off right (man, I miss the summer).

That was all crushed when I walked to school because I saw a dog that had been hit by a car and died. My dog friend (still unnamed), had died. Needless to say I was devastated. I was walking with some little kids and they didn't seem to think anything of it. Then I told my 8th form I was sad today because of that, and they seemed to think I was pretty crazy too. Death here, especially of animals, seems to be just a part of every day life. I think I'm like most Americans in that animals (whether they're our own or someone else's) are more like humans than they are animals (they have feelings, too!). Our pets are a part of our family. But in Moldova, animals are animals and they're here to serve a purpose (which is usually to keep other animals away from the chickens, to do work, or to be a doorbell).

So today I was going to write a tribute to the unnamed dog. On my break I took my phone downstairs to call Ross and tell him how sad I was about this and to try to bed for a little bit of sympathy (which I knew I wasn't going to get, but it was worth a try). Then I looked outside and saw a little black furball with gold specks running along the stairs with some students. I ran outside, whistled, and little unnamed dog came running up to me! It was almost like she had died and come back to life (I know it sounds crazy, but seriously... that's how I felt). My 8th form students were with the dog and were bringing her with them to tell me she hadn't died.

My day is now complete. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment