19 January 2011

Stop and smell the roses

After a bit of reflection and too many hours of incredibly deep thoughts, I've come to realize that I really let life get ahead of me too quickly, and I'd forgotten to stay in the NOW.

Being put in a situation where I'm thousands of miles away from my family and friends, new to my job, and the people around me don't speak your mother tongue, I got ahead of myself. I was afraid of the future, so instead of not worrying about it (because, let's face it, no one knows how the future is going to turn out), I couldn't stop thinking about it. But then, I stopped... and I realized that I'd forgotten about the basis of why I'm here and I remembered to laugh. And to joke. And to smile. And then I took a deep breath, and I felt better.

... and if there were roses outside, I would have gone to smell them. Except I don't think I've ever really found a rose that smells, so I'm not sure why we have that saying.

No comments:

Post a Comment