24 January 2011

A day in a coffee shop

Yesterday began by waking up in the warm and comfortable TDY apartment in Chisinau. I've been here since Friday so Medical could keep an eye on the gunk in my lungs and the progress of the antibiotics. All good things, don't worry.
I ended up meeting with a couple of other Peace Corps friends who are also staying in TDY and they suggested we take a walk in the snow, and used the grocery store as an excuse to do so. When we arrived there, we decided it would be a good idea to grab a coffee (this was around noon). After talking for awhile, one person went back to the apartment to rest and the remaining PCV and I stayed to talk for awhile... you know, girl talk. The whole time we were talking I'd noticed a man that looked so familiar, but it was really bothering me that I couldn't place him. So we went up to him and asked... but failed at finding out the connection. Maybe just a familiar face. But we stayed and chatted with him for awhile and found out he is from the Netherlands and is in Chisinau for a conference to discuss migration, and the possibility of Moldova becoming a part of the EU. It was all quite interesting, but more interesting than that was what he had to say about life. He said that between the ages of 20 and 30 we will go through a tremendous transition... and some friends will be able to follow our journey and some won't. But the friends that do... well, those are our real friends. Good point. Thanks for following :) I know I live a crazy and all over the place life, but it's the life I've chosen to live and I like it. Most of the time.

Then, just as we got up and got ready go leave, we met an American couple in the same coffee shop who just so happened to be sitting right next to us. They're teaching English and gym at the International School here in Chisinau. They were so nice and had nothing but good things to say about their program. I'm not going to lie when I say it's hard living and working here in Moldova and the oh-so-corrupt school system. It's a contract I plan to complete, but every day it's a struggle to continue because quite often I feel like I'm not here doing what I came here to do... but then I think of my "success stories" such as the girl that has been shunned by other teachers but has actually begun to participate in my class. I guess it's the little things that keep me going... but at the same time it's hard because I wanted to teach and I expected to teach alone, and it's so hard to teach with a partner when you're supposed to be equal! But I'm doing what I can... and enjoying my time sitting in a coffee shop for 5 hours.


No comments:

Post a Comment