02 September 2011

Village life

There are a few things I really like about living in a village versus living in the city, or the suburbs:
The fresh air
The stars (oh.my.god)
The open landscape
The fact that everyone knows me- and that I can recognize a fair amount of people
I can walk everywhere
The cows coming home in the evening
Fresh fruits and vegetables in the summer (when there isn't a drought)
... and more.

But with really liking some things, there has to be some things that I don't like, too.... and there is. In fact, a rather large list. However, I am only going to focus on one thing because it pertains to today.
Death. 


Yesterday as I was preparing for school my host mom told me that the father of one of my students (who also happens to pretty much be our neighbor and who also happens to be one of the friendliest and happiest men in this village) woke up paralyzed. They had called the ambulance, but it still had not arrived. When I arrived home from school she told me that just an hour before she was crying because he died. I think he was in his mid-50's. Just the other day he stopped me and asked why I didn't take my father to meet him when he was here and I felt bad about that so I told him we would have a Skype session when the fast internet comes (October 18th!). I'm not really sure what else to say right now, but I am deeply saddened for their loss. He was the father to 6 (or maybe more, I forgot) children, the oldest having a couple of children herself, and the youngest started 5th grade yesterday. I wish I got a change to ask him what happiness means because I'm sure he'd be full of words and smiles while walking with his bike up the hill.

So, what I don't like about death while living in the village is that because it is small, everyone knows everyone, and you kind of feel like you're friends with everyone, in some sort of a way. And then all of a sudden, out of nowhere, someone dies. And it always hurts to see someone so young and so happy and so full of life die young. My heart hurts for Tudorita (my student) and her family. And it's interesting that it rained for the first time in 3 weeks last night. I think Mother Nature is grieving with their family.


No comments:

Post a Comment