30 June 2011

Finally: sun

Oh I can't even begin to tell you how thankful I was for the sun to come out this afternoon. I woke up at 10am (still adjusting?) and was then told I had to be ready at 10:30am to leave for the funeral of 20-year old Victor who had died in the accident. Quickly I got ready (still in dire need of a shower), ate a quick breakfast, and headed to Victor's family's house with Luminita. When we arrived there were probably already over 100 people, and by the time they brought his body out of the house, I can only assume there were close to 400 (but I am really bad at guessing numbers of people). People just kept coming and coming... it was amazing. Then as they brought him out of the house everyone started sobbing just as the trumpet/trombone/accordion band started playing music. From what I understood, they do this for boys who are not married... kind of like it is their wedding day. Once the sobbing began, I knew I wasn't going to be able to handle it for the next 15 or 20 minutes as they walked to the church so I took the back road and waited. After the ceremony in the church I again realized I couldn't handle any more of the sadness (the weather was still gloomy) so I made my way home. While coming home the sun came out so I changed into some jeans, grabbed my Kindle to start a new book (I finished the other one last night when I was unable to sleep) and headed to the river to feel the warm sun on my face and read. In fact I even think I took a little nap, falling asleep to the sound of the bees in the flowers.

While I still think cutting my trip short and coming home because of the accident was the right decision, I realize now that I didn't quite think everything through all the way. There have been record deaths in this village since the start of the year and I've seen what happens when someone dies, especially someone young (50's). I didn't quite think about what would happen to the village with the death of 3 people... 2 of which were very young. I can't really describe it other than to say the village shuts down. It is all anyone can talk about and everyone is crying all of the time. It really breaks my heart to watch this but goodness, my heart is already weak. This is when I miss being in a bigger city... you can run and hide if you want to and no one knows you're gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment