30 September 2010

Change

I was having a discussion with one of my partner teachers today as we were planning for some lessons. I have an idea I’d like to try out by maybe implementing a “test” American grading system… we give grades according to the American system that I know (tests/participation/homework/final exam/projects are all given certain percentages and it’s all recorded instead of just receiving 1 grade out of 10 for everything for the day… or potentially just the week), and we will also give grades according to the Moldovan system. We will record the Moldovan system grades but keep a separate notebook of this new way- just to see how things might be different. While it is all a bit confusing to her, she said she was willing to try. She was also willing to try a game of Jeopardy with the kids for a review session before the test about vocabulary. I told her that I love working with her because she is so willing to try everything- even if she doesn’t completely understand it and even if she doesn’t think it will work. She then said this:

“Everyone dies a little bit when they aren’t willing to change.”

… and she couldn’t be more right. I had to write it down immediately so I wouldn’t forget because it just made so much sense. She also said that although she has been teaching a long time and she has her way of doing things, she is excited to see how things are done from another point of view so that she can maybe use those ideas after I leave. Holy cow. I think I can go back to America now. I’ve completed the mission of being an English Teacher in Moldova.

Oh, wait. I still have to teach her how to do it. I guess I’ll stay a couple more years. ;) Plus, two can play this game.

... looks like we all have a lot to learn from each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment