05 September 2010

Age appropriate

Sometimes I forget when I learned certain things in school. When I tried to tell a 6 year old, for example, that "hi" and "hello" are synonyms, I expected her to understand what that meant. Until, that is, she looked at me with a blank stare like I was speaking some foreign language. Oh wait. I was. But I also forgot that she was just beginning school and had no idea what the word "synonym" meant. My bad.

Another age appropriate- or maybe culture appropriate?- story comes from 4 girls I met today after returning home from my weekend in Pelinia. There was a 5 year old, and 2nd, 3rd, and 6th graders. We were talking about how long the trip was from Pelinia to here (about an hour, in case you were curious, too) and they asked me how I got from here to there (by rutiera). Then they asked if I got to Moldova from America by a rutiera, and I said, "no, plane". Their response? "Wooooow. Yes, it would be a long trip by bus." Yes, a very long trip and also a very difficult one considering there is an ocean in the way. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment