30 September 2010

Best Idea Yet!

As if 3 English Clubs aren’t enough, I’ve started a 4th one. I mean, I can never be too busy…? (Haha. Yea, ok. Sure. Yesterday that was definitely not the case).

Anyways… I started another English Club. However, it’s not exactly an English Club because it won’t be quite as fun as the other English Clubs I have going. This one is for the big kids who got lost in English classes a long time ago, so now they are absolutely clueless. The best part, however, is that it is optional. Only the “big kids” that want to learn English are supposed to come. Because, let’s be honest here. Most of these kiddos are enrolled in English against their will- it’s required. They have no desire to learn to speak the language. Fine- no worries. I’m not going to make them learn it. After all, I did drop out of Spanish in 10th grade. But I was that student that “got lost to the point of no return”… or at least that’s what I thought. So I want to help those students that got lost a long time ago- but want to graduate knowing something in English so it can maybe (hopefully!) help them in the future.

When I told some of my classes about it they seemed excited. Unfortunately fewer students showed up than I thought, but oh well. There’s always next week.

I began with the verbs “to be” and “to have”. When I told my partner teachers about this they said the kids (8,9,10, 11, 12 grade) should already know this. Yes, yes they should. But the truth is some don’t. We started with that and I was SO excited with their progress! I can’t wait to see where this goes, and I hope next time more kiddos show up.

No comments:

Post a Comment