15 August 2011

Kitten in a basket

Today I met Lenua. She is 18 years old and has such a bright smile, and by the kitten in her basket I can only assume that she loves cats. After three days at this camp put on by the National Youth Council of Moldova working with kids on the subject of "Embracing diversity through tolerance and openness" (including racism, stereotypes, agism, etc), I am very ashamed that I ran the stereotype through my head that because she has a physical disability that it is a mental one as well. While I know very well this isn't the case, I was put in my place when I asked her if she knew English and she started speaking to me without any mistakes. What a special girl... and she's so lucky because she gets to stay here until Thursday but I have to leave on Wednesday!


No comments:

Post a Comment