15 March 2012

Timing of transitions

With one of my best friend's recent engagements and my recent set of transitions (I'll get to that), she told me, "Timing really is everything, Cate. If I had met my fiancé three months before or three months after I did, it probably wouldn't have worked out". And she's right because timing really is everything. Sometimes people come into your life a certain time because they were meant to in order to lead you in a different direction, and sometimes they come at what you think is a bad time but it's always for a reason.

While I was in New Mexico helping me dad, I literally felt a transition happen to me. Awhile ago I'd asked one of my friends who is a year younger than me if she actually feels like an adult now that she is working in a city where she didn't know anyone before arriving there and is working at a "real job". Her response was, "well, yea, I do" and it was just beyond me how she felt that way because I knew that I didn't fell like an adult at all. In fact, I felt like I was one of the kids when I was supposed to be teaching them. I didn't care much about what I was wearing or, quite honestly, how I acted in public situations (to a degree). But then something came over me and all of a sudden I felt different. I felt grown up. I felt like an adult. And I went shopping to reward myself in a store that has good quality clothes that will last a long time and are both business appropriate but can be casual at the same time. And you know what? I feel GREAT when wearing them. Then those "grown up" thoughts started taking over and I realized maybe this grand photo project idea isn't the best idea after all. It is a HUGE project to take on, not to mention expensive, and I really don't have experience in the field. What if I were to complete India and then start in Guatemala and for whatever reason it doesn't work, or I never make it to Guatemala... then I'd be leaving the kids in India behind and I'd be breaking a promise I'd made to them. Sure, I can ask for funding but I would have to do that six times in order to get back to the countries I promised I'd visit, and that doesn't pay for the new equipment I'd have to buy or the maintenance on it, or my insurance or anything. So, I realized it's time for me to get a job. A real job. And you know what? I'm actually really looking forward to it and to learning something new. And having a place to call home. MY home. And a car. Oh, yes, I'm really looking forward to having a car again. Also while I was in the ABQ I entered into an antique store, where I came up with a GREAT idea for a side photo project that would keep photography a passion and a hobby instead of something that adds stress at times, and it keeps me meeting and talking to people, and it could even end up on your coffee table one day! Multiple win, if I do say so myself.

Now back to people coming into your life at the right (or wrong) time. On the flight from Albuquerque to Atlanta I was past tired. I'd kept myself up for most of the night except for a couple of hours so I could sleep on the overnight plane to Germany. I kind of forgot about the 3 hour flight and 4 hour layover I'd have before that... and couldn't even stay awake through take-off. When we landed the man next to me asked me where I was headed and I told him back to Moldova for the Peace Corps, to which he responded he works with the Returned Peace Corps Volunteer Fellows program at the University of Missouri. Hm. Close to home! Before I knew it, we'd been talking for two minutes and then I looked down the aisle and he'd disappeared in the sea of people I had to wait to pass because my bag was placed in a bin in the opposite direction. No sooner than I'd made it to my next gate and settled in and accessed the internet, I'd received an email from him apologizing for disappearing and also taking the time to tell me more about the program. Needless to say, I became intrigued at that point. Graduate school is only something I'd considered for a few days in the last 24 1/2 years of my life, so it was only expected that I'd turn my nose to the question when he'd originally asked my opinion on it. In the email, however, I started thinking more about it. Then looking into the program. Something that has concerned me lately in my job search is that I am not qualified for much... I have experience in teaching, photography, and babysitting. Well, truth be told, I don't want to do that anymore (for a full-time career). Maybe graduate school is a great alternative... and it is something I am looking into.

So, with that begin said, it looks like I will be back in the States for good as of mid-August or the beginning of September. I'm looking for a job that will provide training (sit, stay, good girl!) and ideally in sales/PR/marketing/advertising. I'm open to locations, and open to many different opportunities! Graduate school still may be in my future, but at this point I'm going to wait until next fall so I have more time to research and take my tests and what-not.

Get ready, America! I'm putting on my grown-up clothes and attitude on life, and I'm ready to see what the world has to offer from the eyes of an adult!

No comments:

Post a Comment